Why 100?

Last year I set out to read 100 books, but I ran out of time and only read 75. So this year, I will read one hundred books. And you're my witness :) The only thing stopping me this year is 9 seasons' worth of Seinfeld episodes- wish me luck!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

My favorite book, revisited (my 21st book of the year)

"The advantage of the emotions is that they lead us astray." --Oscar Wilde

Second Helpings, by Megan Mccafferty
It still remains my favorite book.  It may not have the qualities that scholars could study for years, but it is my classic- it's in my literary cannon, which i prefer much more to the literary cannon being passed on to students in the classroom- there's a reason the kids don't like reading these 'old classics' in school- they are old and quite dull, for the most part.  I consider reading to be a sport that  i am damn good at, but even i struggle to get through most of those beasts.  But i digress.  Second Helpings, the sequel to Sloppy Firsts, was great when i first happened to pick it up in high school, at a Barnes and Noble in Spokane, for something to read on the long, boring drive home.  This was my second choice book to get, only because my mom thought the Gossip Girl  book that i had wanted to get looked "inappropriate and tasteless."  Boy am I glad I dodged that bullet.  Then I couldn't put it down until Marcus and Jessica Darling sorted out their sordid and twisted quasi-romance.  Would they remain as friends?  Would they have sex???  Will he continue to play "Game Master" until she gives up and dies in a fiery car crash??  (no to this last one, because this isn't a novel meant to horrify, as all the other books I pick up seem to be....-i'm shaking my head right now.  deep sigh-) 
Well, if you think I am going to give away the ending, I am NOT, because I insist you read this book, even if you aren't in high school, because the high school girl still lurking deep down inside of you wants to go through this literary extravaganza.  It's hard for me to write and feel like I am giving this book enough credit, so i am going to write some of my fave quotes from Second Helpings and leave it at that.  now go read it!!!!

"And I was happy.  Deliriously, deliciously happy."

"Jessica, we were perfect in our imperfection."

"...what is reality anyway, when no two people can ever see the same thing in the same exact way?  Reality is a lot more subjective than people like to think it is."

"... major in Hobagitry.  I'll just have to suck it up. (Ha. In more ways than one.)"

So there it is.  One of my favorites, summarized in quotes.  They may not make sense to you,  but I bet one of them stands out..... just like these all stood out from the entire novel for me.  especially that major in Hobagitry one.  there would be a lot of people that have graduated by now that are still in school if this was an option for a major.  i'm just sayin'.......

No comments:

Post a Comment