Why 100?

Last year I set out to read 100 books, but I ran out of time and only read 75. So this year, I will read one hundred books. And you're my witness :) The only thing stopping me this year is 9 seasons' worth of Seinfeld episodes- wish me luck!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

42. the queen of blah blah blah (a.k.a. the queen of predictability)

meg cabot, author of the famed princess diary series, wrote the queen of babble, which was apparently made for boring holiday weekends where you need something to flip through quickly..... i know, that's a little harsh, but i'm sorry, i cannot read any more books where the protagonist antagonizes over EVERY LITTLE DETAIL.... over and over and over again.  i had had enough of this from my last emily giffin experience (see: #41), but at least that was life changing stuff like adultery and resentment and dead mothers..... this queen of babble, lizzie, is convinced she's in love with a boy she hung out with for one night and e-mailed for a few months so she goes to live with him in england for the summer.  um, excuse me?  when did girls become so stupid?  oh, right, i went through that phase in 7th GRADE!  come on, get real ms. cabot!  yes, girls are silly sometimes about matters of the heart, but not stupid enough to move after one night of making out in a dorm room.  and her "silly" antics where she can't keep her "big fat mouth shut" are unbearable.  give me a break!  (break me off a piece of that kit-kat-bar! ha ha)  now that i have gotten all of that out of my system, this book wasn't all bad.  the plot line was kind of fun and it is always nice to see the clueless, down on her luck (supposedly), happy go lucky girl get what she wants.  and i did enjoy her passion for fashion that comes out in the writing.  that is always refreshing to see someone who knows a lot about their passions.  but i think in the future, i will just pretend i'm a teenager again and go back to the princess diaries.  at least that unreality is realistic.  wait, what?

No comments:

Post a Comment