Why 100?

Last year I set out to read 100 books, but I ran out of time and only read 75. So this year, I will read one hundred books. And you're my witness :) The only thing stopping me this year is 9 seasons' worth of Seinfeld episodes- wish me luck!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

#25.... who are you?

thank God for good books and familiar sitcoms- something ANYthing that i can cozy up to in this horrendous weather.  and to think- just one week ago i was day-dreaming about summer weddings and going to the beach.  now what do i get for doing that in march?  horrifying april weather.  take this blizzard for example.  luckily, i have just finished an affair with a de-LIGHT-ful little book, filled with nice british wit and observations. 
The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne
is a great book.  if the blue and pink cover doesn't lure you in, the idea of putting on a wig and transforming yourself into an alter ego named "Honey" to snap bachelors into shape will.  melissa, our protagonist, is a meek doormat that is constantly walked all over by her "Daddy," a british judge of some sort, her boyfriends and her sisters and other girly acquaintances.  when faced with an economic slump, she transforms herself into Honey, a vivacious, sexy blonde to help otherwise helpless men to get the right haircut, buy presents for their mothers, or get rid of horribly bossy girlfriends. 
this got me thinking about alter egos in general (when i wasn't swooning over the predictable love interests in the book).  who would i be?  why would i change?  to play girlfriend to the hapless fellow to impress his co-workers?  or would i change to become some sort of super hero for myself?  don't we already change every time we are with somebody?  one friend of mine gets confident, advice-giving molly, while another gets emotional, and easily-frightened molly.  my parents get good molly, the girl who never fails to write a thank-you note, and my boyfriend gets the girl who loves to don high heels and short skirts and frolic around.  so who am i?  who are you?  is the definition of who you are static or is it ever-changing?  what kind of wig (real or imaginary) do you put on for people? 
i would like to think that my alter ego's name is some saucy, hispanic looking woman, who flaunts her curves in flitty red dresses and has a throaty laugh.  i would also like to think of this other me as someone who has no problem yelling and gesturing wildly when necessary.... this may be a bit of a stereotype though.  do forgive me.  the only issue i have with this alter ego?  it isn't me.  and more importantly, what is her name?  what is your name?

*Honey Blenerheskett
(from The Little Lady Agency, in case you missed that fact earlier)

No comments:

Post a Comment