Why 100?

Last year I set out to read 100 books, but I ran out of time and only read 75. So this year, I will read one hundred books. And you're my witness :) The only thing stopping me this year is 9 seasons' worth of Seinfeld episodes- wish me luck!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

kid lit- #26

Joey Pigza Swallowed The Key, by Jack Gantos
I don't have much to say about this piece of fiction, other than that i am terribly sorry for the children and parents that have to deal with children with developmental issues.  this book was written from joey's point of view, and i'm pretty sure his condition is adhd, but it never comes out and says it for sure.  i suppose they do this so that every child that reads the book can properly relate to joey, even if they have a different problem, and also so that every hypochondriac in the making won't go home to their parents and claim that they have joey's affliction.  (i know i might have done this- in fact, as i was reading it, i was thinking about my own hyperactivity as a child during time tables, but i'm a bit of a melodramatic over-emphasizer, so pretend i didn't just say that).  anywho, this book is written from the perspective of this kid with adhd or whatever it may be, so it jumps around a lot, and to be honest, it kind of gave me a head-ache.  but it was good because it helped me to step into the shoes of someone with this sort of learning disability.  thank God i am able to step out of it at the end of the day and relax without zipping around the room, getting made fun of by my peers.  books like these make me realize just how lucky i am and have been.  they also scare me into thinking that my teaching career will involve children running with scissors and accidently lopping off somebody's nose, but i think that is an entirely different matter altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment