Why 100?

Last year I set out to read 100 books, but I ran out of time and only read 75. So this year, I will read one hundred books. And you're my witness :) The only thing stopping me this year is 9 seasons' worth of Seinfeld episodes- wish me luck!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

You are what you eat, and I am what i watch (apparently)


Alright, I will be honest with you.  I haven't read this book word-for-word, cover to cover.  but i have skimmed, and gotten the most nutritional value that i could from it (ha ha ha ha) 
You Are What You Eat by Dr. Gillian McKeith
is an excellent guide to eating like a healthy person- 80% of the time. this isn't a diet book, it is an 'eat better so you don't perish and die of obesity and countless other health problems by age 42' book.  she claims that you can eat as much of the foods on "The Abundant Food List" (a.k.a. healthy, tasty-in-an-i'm-eating-healthy-and-feel-great kind of way).

While i was reading about nutrition and the care for your body, i had to wonder how we are supposed to care for our hearts and souls.  i just told my habibi that he was the one.  where did i get this from?  who told me that this was an important way to exercise my emotional heart health?  why aren't there studies based on real facts that can tell us what to do and say for a surefire way to stay happy and in love?  i think this is why we rely on television series and magazines so much for guidance.  i wonder if me telling him that he was the one instead of some other sappy saying was a subconscious throwback carrie and big.  "carrie, you're the one."  it makes me weep for joy for these pretend people every single time.  EVERY TIME.  there is no exaggeration there.  but these are fictional characters.  so why do i imitate them?  because they appear happy?  big goes all the way to paris to tell carrie that she is the one, and to start their lives together anew.  will i go all the way to the middle east?  does art imitate life, or does life imitate art in order to gain a sense of order and peace that is impossibe for us to navigate on our own?  even as i write this, pursuing my dream of becoming a professional writer, i have to notice that i am definitely emulating the sex and the city column.  where does this leave me?  this can't be healthy to follow something else so closely without even trying.  so does our reliance on others, specifically fictional, grandiose others, lead the way to healthier emotions, or are we parrotting them without the benefit of the reality?
questions, questions......

No comments:

Post a Comment