Why 100?

Last year I set out to read 100 books, but I ran out of time and only read 75. So this year, I will read one hundred books. And you're my witness :) The only thing stopping me this year is 9 seasons' worth of Seinfeld episodes- wish me luck!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

#14: the giver


guess who just read The Giver by Lois Lowry in less than the amount of time since writing my last post? that's right- me. SUCK ON THAT, SCHOOL! I remember reading this in the 6th grade, but i'm glad my teachers are making me revisit it, especially after taking my philosophy class- the one about good and evil and utopias and dystopias and right and wrong.... well, you get the point. The Giver is very reminiscent of Ursula Le Guin's "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas." An entire community lives a life of happiness without pain at the expense of one person who contains the suffering for them. This isn't exactly the case with The Giver because that one person that is "honored" with all of this knowledge is also given emotions such as love, joy, and true happiness.... as well as the feeling and sight of sunshine, sky, and, of all things, colors! can you imagine living in a place with no sky? no COLOR? i can't even comprehend it. then of course, you have to wonder how this all relates to God.... is Le Guin's story a fable that criticizes/examines the story of Jesus? How He suffered for our sins on the cross? Then how does Lowry interpret these thoughts into her much lighter version, created to be non partisan reading for children to make them think.... think about choices, and life, and emotions that we can feel.... and to question- what is there that we can't feel? what lies are we being fed? for our happiness or is it some other person's idea of happiness? it's hard to imagine the world we live in as a utopia, but is it a utopia to someone or some group out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment