Why 100?

Last year I set out to read 100 books, but I ran out of time and only read 75. So this year, I will read one hundred books. And you're my witness :) The only thing stopping me this year is 9 seasons' worth of Seinfeld episodes- wish me luck!

Monday, February 1, 2010

does this count as a book? it should, it reads like one, with about as many complexities....

it just occurred to me, as i was sitting here in my pajamas, listening to Porcelain by the Red Hot Chili Peppers at full blast, eyes closed, reminiscing about the first time i heard it and how much i still love it and the intricacies of such a beautiful song yada yada yada that if i were to teach it, as part of a poetry unit, not only would i risk ruining the song for myself, as it is one of those musical sanctuaries of mine that i can cry/laugh/fall asleep/smile/close my eyes and hum/etc... to. first of all, if this was taught as a poem (which it should be- it is truly beautiful and endlessly complex), would it be considered "classic rock" by my students? would they have ever even heard of it? will only those students schooled in great 90s rock even know who the red hot chili peppers are???

anyway, i'm supposed to be getting ready for school, but i needed to let that out in the world, lest i let these thoughts loose in our classroom discussion later on and get pegged as the class space case that may or may not be on drugs.


here are the lyrics, in case you were wondering. and the image from the cover of the CD (yes, i have the cd- and i prefer it that way, no mp3 bullshit for me i want a solid copy in front of me, to play in my car at full volume and share with my friends.)


Porcelain
by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Porcelain
Are you wasting away in your skin
Are you missing the love of your kin
Drifting and floating and fading away
Porcelain
Do you smell like a girl when you smile
Can you bear not to share with your child
Drifting and floating and fading away
Little lune
All day
little lune
Porcelain
Do you carry the moon in your womb
Someone said that you're fading too soon
Drifting and floating and fading away
Porcelain
Are you wasting away in your skin
Are you missing the love of your kin
Nodding and melting and fading away
Little lune
all day
little lune

No comments:

Post a Comment